I’ve expressed several times in the past that I much prefer reading a physical copy of a book than an ebook. I know I’m not alone on this, but I also know that some people actually prefer an ebook. Since I’m only going to have my Kindle to read from soon, I’ve been thinking about this topic quite a bit. I’m listing the pros of both, since I feel if I did a pros and cons I’d end up repeating myself!
The pros of ‘physical’ copies:
- New book smell. Old book smell. Book smell. Whatever, I love it.
- There’s something really satisfying about just holding an actual book. It makes me happy.
- So many different pretty covers to choose from.
- To me, rooms devoid of books feel wrong. When I go to people’s houses and there are no books in sight, I DON’T LIKE IT.
- Browsing a bookshop is always exciting – even if I don’t intend to buy anything (HA.), I still love browsing.
- People being able to see what you’re reading can open up many different conversations that might not happen otherwise.
The pros of ebooks:
- Easy to take around with you if you’re travelling, or even if you’re just out shopping and stop for a coffee. This is especially appealing for me because some of my favourite genres are epic fantasy and science fiction – many of which are HUUUUGE volumes.
- No-one can see what you’re reading, so if you want to read something embarrassing or if you feel people will look at your with their judgy eyes then you’re safe!
- Ebooks are generally cheaper and there are lots of great deals, plus all the classics are free.
- You can read in the dark! My Kindle Paperwhite has a handy backlight, which is great when we get powercuts (we get them a lot…)
- You can browse for new books WHILST reading. Or maybe that’s a bad thing…?
- And of course, you can carry thousands of books at once on an e-reader. Not really possible with physical copies… unless you have superhuman strength.
I don’t know what it is, but when I read an ebook I constantly find myself checking ‘Time left in book’. Even if I’m really enjoying the book and am in no hurry to finish, I keep checking. Maybe I should turn that option off… Even though I can also roughly guess how much longer I have in a physical copy, I just don’t seem as obsessive over it as with an ebook. Does anyone else get this?