Recently, I was reading a Young Adult novel and finding myself constantly infuriated by the main character’s thoughts and decisions. From this, I thought it would be fun to do a post based on the advice I’d give many YA fiction characters, and will probably do the same for many other genres and types of books! It’ll be my way of poking fun at the tropes of various genres, as well as some things that really bug me about them.
Dear YA Fiction characters…
- Don’t give up on your dreams for a boyfriend/girlfriend. It is really not worth it.
- Don’t make your boyfriend/girlfriend your reason for being, either. It might feel like true love now, but that’s part of being a teenager.
- If you live in a futuristic society where people are ranked or grouped based on ability or personality, don’t trust any authority. Just don’t.
- Actually, don’t trust anyone.
- Or those super fancy high-tech gadgets everyone has to use…
- You’re plain? I doubt it.
- Do not trust any guy who says he is too dangerous for you, and for god’s sakes DO NOT DATE HIM.
- Also, stay away from vampires, werewolves, etc. They’re really not that sexy.
- Don’t slut shame. Not cool. People can do whatever they want with their own bodies, and you know what? It’s none of your business.
- You can be friends with the opposite gender without a romance.
- If you complain about people being judgmental of you, you have no right to judge them on first appearances.
- Just pick a guy/girl. Don’t leave one hanging. (aka RINN HATES LOVE TRIANGLES UGH)
- YOU DON’T LOVE THAT GUY/GIRL YOU JUST MET TWO MINUTES AGO. THAT’S CALLED INSTA-ATTRACTION, NOT LOVE. (aka Rinn also hates insta-love UGH)
- If your soulmate betrays you, don’t forgive them instantly. Make them prove themselves!