Prose & Pixels is a feature that combines two of my loves: books and video games. Here I’ll discuss all sorts of things to do with the two, whether it’s recommendations, influences or just a good old chat.
Today I want to share my most wished for video games, and I’d love to hear yours too!
- Far Cry Primal – I really love Far Cry 3, I played it pretty much throughout my entire year in Leiden. It somehow ran pretty well on my laptop (and looks super amazing on my desktop), and was a great distraction/de-stressing tool. I love the open world, sneaking around and taking over bases without being spotted. I remember feeling super epic one time as I gunned my way through a camp, escaped a burning building, rescued someone, made it to safety and then… walked straight off a cliff and to my death. It has a way of surprising me (BAM LEOPARDS OUT OF NOWHERE) and perhaps making me shout a little more expletives than strictly necessary but it’s good fun. And Far Cry Primal promises all of this, but in a prehistoric setting. You can RIDE MAMMOTHS AND SABER TOOTHS. AND TAME BADGERS. Of course I need it!
- Firewatch – This is one of those ‘walking simulator’ type games that seems to pop up, but it looks so gorgeous and if there’s a great story to match then I’m happy playing a game that is more of an interactive story than anything. The player takes on the role of a park ranger, and is the only person in game – apart from another ranger at the end of the walkie-talkie.
- Stardew Valley – A Harvest Moon type game, this seems to offer so much more than the series it sprung from. It is massive on Steam, Markiplier played it and loved it, and quite a few friends are just as obsessed. I did find Harvest Moon to be a little repetitive, but I have a sneaking suspicion that I will enjoy Stardew Valley a whole lot more.
- Ori and the Blind Forest – Not only does this game look beautiful (and seriously, the opening is super sad), but it has a gorgeous soundtrack as well. More of a platformer/side scroller than an open world game, which isn’t my typical style, but just about everything else about it makes me want to play it so much.
- Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen – An open world fantasy where you fight with a team of pawns – it looks so cool! You really have to think about how to take down enemies and finding their weak spots, for example setting a griffin on fire with a fire arrow to bring it down to the ground, where you can then attack.
- No Man’s Sky – I am super excited for this! No Man’s Sky is a procedurally generated space exploration game. SPACE! EXPLORATION! And it just looks so super super beautiful. The game will have over 18 QUINTILLION planets, which is just absolutely insane and basically means that you can never run out of places to explore.
What video games are on your wishlist?