Notes from the Netherlands is my feature where I discuss my time studying at Leiden University. I want to blog about this amazing experience as much as I can!
Since I last posted about my time here, so much has happened and I can’t believe it’s only been just over two weeks!
- I got to know one of my coursemates, this amazing guy called Jack (you better be reading this Jack, haha!) a lot better, and he has definitely helped me to come out of my comfort zone and experience things I would never even have tried before – now I know I actually enjoy all this stuff I was just too scared to even try out, thanks to having someone there who I really get along with.
- All of last week was Orientation Week, which was a very intense week full of events for Masters students. Every day there was a variety of different activities planned to help us get to know each other, as well as the city.
- On Tuesday, there was a pub crawl planned for the evening. I’m not a particularly big drinker – or rather, I’m fussy about what I will actually drink. And until now, despite having already done three years at university, I’d never gone on a pub crawl. My mantra for the week was just to do everything and throw myself into it, leave my comfort zone. So I did it – and I’m so glad! I had such a fun time, and I think the fact that I enjoyed that encouraged me to do other things. And I probably also consumed more calories in alcohol than food this week as a result.
- Wednesday night was a cocktail party at the ISN (International Student Network) house, followed by Einstein, which is a popular student bar in Leiden. Vodka definitely hits me very quickly. This night was even more fun than the last, and we got to have drinks sat on a gracht!
- On Thursday night we went to a club called Next. This was a HUGE deal for me – as it was actually the first time I’d ever been to a club. Honestly. I enjoyed it so much more than I expected, and basically just decided to forget the fact that I can’t dance and just have fun. It was so packed, people were drinking and I’m pretty sure no-one would have noticed my dancing, whether bad or good.
- And then Friday was the big end of week party at InCasa, so I’m pretty glad I got my first club experience before that – I felt a lot less scared this time! Another fantastic night, but a slightly earlier finish than Thursday, where I didn’t get back until 5am…
- Overall, it’s just been an amazing time so far. Getting to know and spend time with some really wonderful people, all these new experiences, the fact that I actually had the courage to push myself into doing these things – I’m pretty proud of myself!