Lately I’ve been reading a lot of Marvel comics. I’m not sure what bought it on; I’ve always been a fan of comic books, superheroes and the Marvel films – but only lately have I really started reading about them. This lead me to thinking what my powers would be if I could choose them – and I just couldn’t work it out. So I thought I’d consider some of my favourite Marvel heroes to begin with. I’d also like to address the question to my readers!
- Real name: Remy Etienne LeBeau
- Aliases: Death, Le Diable Blanc, Cajun
- First appearance: Uncanny X-Men #266
- Powers & abilities: Can tap into the potential energy within an object, and transform it into kinetic energy, allowing the object to explode when thrown; hypnotic charm allowing a subtle influence; very accurate aim when throwing playing cards and knives; skilled fencer
- Amazing because… I don’t know why, I’ve just always really liked Gambit. His appearance really appeals to me, plus his powers are unique and different whilst still being useful. He’s pretty good at one-to-one combat without his powers, and can take on groups of enemies with them – covered for all situations!
- Real name: Anna Marie (surname undisclosed)
- Aliases: Anna Raven, Miss Smith, Irene Adler, Mutate #9602
- First appearance: Avengers Annual #10
- Powers & abilities: Previously able to absorb the powers, memories and personality traits (and life force) of anyone she comes into skin-to-skin contact with; later immunity to poisons and a virtually indestructible body, above normal reflexes, psychic sense
- Amazing because… Rogue has gone through a lot. She lost her parents at a young age and was raised by Mystique, and discovered her powers as a teen, when her first kiss fell into a deep coma. She has been part of both the X-Men and the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. I can’t even imagine not being able to touch a loved one for fear of killing them, and Rogue has lived with that for her entire life.
- Real name: Clinton Barton
- Aliases: Marksman, Longbow, Goliath, Robin Hood, Golden Archer
- First appearance: Tales of Suspense #57
- Powers & abilities: No powers as such, but Hawkeye is an incredibly accurate marksman, with above average reflexes and hand-eye co-ordination; trained with throwing weapons and for unarmed combat; natural athlete; combat strategist
- Amazing because… Hawkeye is a normal man. He’s not a superhero, he’s not a mutant: he’s just really good at what he does. Extreme dedication and training is the reason that he is the most skilled archer in the world, and that is incredibly admirable.
And one hero I’m not really bothered about…
- Real name: Doreen Green
- Aliases: None
- First appearance: Marvel Super-Heroes #8
- Powers & abilities: Enhanced strength, speed, agility and reflexes; small claws and enlarged incisors; squirrel-like abilities and able to communicate with squirrels
- Yep, she’s a real Marvel superhero. Nope, I don’t get it either. Apparently she was created to bring some light-heartedness to the comics, but still… squirrels?? Really?? Although if you play as her in the Lego Marvel Superheroes video game, you get to throw squirrels at people, which is strangely fun…
So, what did I choose as my powers after considering all these?
It was difficult and took some consideration, but I’ve come up with three ideas. I didn’t want to pick the usual ones like flight, invisibility, super strength etc, I wanted something a bit different – and here they are:
- The ability to speak and understand any language I come into contact with. I love languages, and how amazing would it be to be able to speak ALL of them?! This didn’t really come from any specific superhero, although a couple of them are at least bi-lingual; for example both Gambit and Rogue are fluent in French.
- The ability to touch an object and immediately know its history. Partly inspired by Rogue, who can learn memories by touch, I’d love to be able to touch an object and know all about it – how awesome would that be for a museum curator? I could instantly tell who crafted something, what it was used for, when it was used.
- The ability to travel in time, and take others with me. Yep, I’d love to be able to travel in time at will, but only if I could take others with me – perhaps as long as we were in contact some way I could take them with me. This has nothing to do with Marvel, and everything to do with Doctor Who.
What would your superhero powers be if you could choose anything? Do you have any favourite superheroes?