Every first Wednesday of the month (Tuesday this month, due to the Book of Apex tour!) , I’ll be posting a roundup of the month just gone, and writing about what’s to come in the next few weeks.
This month I read fifteen books, which as far as I’m aware is a personal record! Admittedly there were a couple of novellas and graphic novels, but I’m happy with my progress. The Death Pit by A.L. Kennedy, Into the Nowhere by Jenny Colgan, Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh, Archaeology: the Basics by Clive Gamble (refreshing my memory!), Supernatural: Origins by Peter Johnson, The Bone Season (The Bone Season #1) by Samantha Shannon, The Creature in the Case (The Old Kingdom #3.5) by Garth Nix, Watchmen by Alan Moore, Red Sonja: Queen of Plagues by Gail Simone & Walter Geovanni, Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone #1) by Laini Taylor, The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch, Mass Effect: Foundation by Mac Walters, The Screaming Staircase (Lockwood & Co #1) by Jonathan Stroud, The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells and The QI Book of the Dead by John Lloyd.
Standout books include Brideshead Revisited, Daughter of Smoke and Bone and The Screaming Staircase. I’ve now read fifteen books towards my goal of fifty for this year – so I may have to raise it, but I also have to remember that my reading will greatly decrease from mid-August.
- I read four books towards the Avengers vs. X-Men Challenge
- Just the one towards the Dragons & Jetpacks Ultimate Booklist challenge, but there is no real time limit on this one – it’s lifelong!
- And one more ticked off of my TBR Pile 2013 – I’m hoping to finish it off before I go to uni. I read about half last year and am aiming to finish it this year!
Reviews on the blog on this month:
- Red Sonja: Queen of Plagues (Red Sonja #1) by Gail Simone & Walter Geovanni
- Mass Effect: Foundation by Mac Walters
- The Screaming Staircase (Lockwood & Co #1) by Jonathan Stroud
- Bellman & Black by Diane Setterfield
- The Joy of Sexus: Love, Lust and Longing in the Ancient World by Vicki Leon
- The Bookstore by Deborah Meyler
- I discussed my favourite fantasy video games as part of the most recent Fantasy Friday
- I recommended books for fans of BBC’s Robin Hood, The Borgias, Firefly and Supernatural as part of Turning Off The TV
- I discussed my crazy insane amount of ARCs and other books to review, and asked for some advice – and got some great responses!
- My fantasy and science fiction book group, Dragons & Jetpacks, chose the Books of the Month for February 2014
- I shared my progress for Re-Read January, and it hasn’t changed since then. Oops, I’ve been a rubbish host…
- I absolutely LOVE soundtracks from films, TV and video games, so I decided to share my favourites with my readers
- I opened up the Museum of Literary Wonders to visitors… I will be posting another one soon!
- Towards the beginning of the month, I discussed how web design has changed since I started about ten years ago. This was my most popular post of the month!
- Fan of The Hobbit movies? I discussed them in the first Fantasy Friday of the month
- And my first post of 2014: My Bookish Resolutions for 2014!
- I’m taking part in the Book of Apex tour, organised by Andrea @ Little Red Reviewer. Yay, speculative fiction!
- I’m also taking part in Insta-love 101, hosted by the lovely ladies at A Novel Idea. Boo, insta-love!
- And finally: the Review Copy Cleanup hosted by Books, Biscuits & Tea! and Nyx Book Reviews – time to tame that Netgalley ratio!