Notes from the Netherlands is my feature where I discuss my time studying at Leiden University. I want to blog about this amazing experience as much as I can!
In just under a week, I will be leaving the Netherlands and heading back to the UK. I just wanted to take the opportunity to look back at everything I have managed to accomplish this year.
- For me, one of the biggest things was the fact that I moved to another country by myself. At 18, I didn’t even consider any university more than 2 hours away from home for my Bachelors degree, so the fact that I felt confident enough to move abroad alone was a pretty massive step.
- I went to my first club. Yeah, somehow I avoided them entirely during my Bachelors degree…
- I went on my first pub crawl.
- I went to my first paint party.
- In fact, I pretty much attempted to make up for the lack of stuff I did during my Bachelors degree.
- I wrote a 30,000 word thesis that I am pretty happy with.
- I travelled to both Germany and Belgium, and stayed in my first youth hostel!
- I learnt some Dutch – I can’t really hold a conversation but I understand a lot more than I can express.
- I realised that I love cycling everywhere and that it’s something we need to do more of in the UK.
- I confirmed that this is DEFINITELY the career path that I want.
- I met up with some of the most important people in my life.
- I learned that any event, no matter how boring it sounds, is always interesting when there’s free food and drink.
- Apparently I actually DO enjoy the gym. Most of the time.
- I met some fantastic people who I hope will be friends for life.
- And this is one of the most important things to me – I managed to almost entirely financially support myself. I’ve never been good at saving money, but somehow I managed it really well during the two years I worked to come here. And sometimes I forget that all the money I’m spending here, all my rent, my tuition fees, everything – has been mostly paid for by my own hard work. That, more than anything, makes me feel like a grown up!